25 June 2014

A Giant Saving


I decided a while ago that I wanted a giant in my Warhammer Orcs and Goblins army. Whether or not they are any good is beside the point; I wanted one.

Now, given that a Citadel giant costs £32.50...and that I have recently wasted £50 on the white elephant that is 7th edition 40k...and that I really don't like how that figure looks, did I?:

a. Spend £32.50 on a giant from Games Workshop

b. Go on eBay and look for what would, no doubt, have cost me even more but possibly looks better (maybe the old Marauder giant)

c. Go to Poundland and spend but £1 on a brandless "wrestler" toy that was made in China

The wrestler as purchased

Limb joints given a thorough dowsing with superglue to fix their position 

Miliput added to seal gaps and a loin cloth made from  paper towel and an Orc banner. Pendant is a skeletal horse head. 

Painted. I added a tankard made from a powder keg and a snotling with the same pose.  Perhaps the snotling is controlling the brute. 

My friend Ross pointed out that a giant wrestler should be called Andre, hence the tattoo. I guess he's from Brettonia!


4 comments:

  1. A few years back I spent ages looking online for a giant that I liked the look of. It was quite a difficult task. They either look crap, too small/big, cost way too much or -most often than not- they're in an awkward pose. I eventually settled on the plastic GW giant from about five years ago, but I changed his posture so he didn't look like he was falling over. Even now I'm not that satisfied with him to tell you the truth.

    Great idea of using the giant wrestler, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sold until I saw the finished version...but it looks great! Very clever piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking model. Very well done on seeing the potential of the wrestler figure.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very ingenious idea, as well as cost effective.

    ReplyDelete